Friday, March 8, 2013

The Struggle of Language


Speaking two languages is like any other skill. To do it well, people need lots of practice. Along with this practice comes a struggle. The struggle between the language of school and the language of home.

Growing up, the language of home was Malayalam. Before I began school, I exclusively spoke in Malayalam, our native Indian language. I could sings songs, write the alphabet, and read small words. But as I started school, I realized that Malayalam wasn’t the only language in the world.

I faintly remember my early years in elementary school, and I remember I wasn’t a very big talker. In part, the reason I didn’t open my mouth very often was because I didn’t know what to articulate. Words would form in my head but what do I say? I had learned English from my teachers, but my parents were speaking to me in a totally different language at home. I remember thinking to myself, which one do I use? I didn’t know whether my lips should form the consonants of English or the slurs of Malayalam.

I don’t know why it was hard for me to differentiate between the two. Everyone at school was speaking in English, so why shouldn’t I? But then, why were we speaking something completely different at home?

Looking back at it now, I find it funny that I had this kind of mindset. One language for the whole world? How would that even be possible? As years went by, I resolved my questions and opened my eyes to various languages of the world. I’ve learned more than just English and Malayalam, and have opened my vocabulary to the languages of Spanish and Hindi.

There are assortments of languages across various cultures, but they all come together when it comes to the fact that they are used to express desired messages.

Have you ever faced a struggle between various languages?



1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine having to struggle through having two languages. It must have been even more difficult with a language that is not as common as some others that are spoken alongside English such as Spanish. Now you have an extremely unique part of you that not many others can match!

    ReplyDelete