Friday, January 25, 2013

What is culture?

Culture to me is language, religion, social behavior, clothing, food—an assortment of the distinctive characteristics found within a collection of people. To me, culture has no confinements to the way it can be defined. I believe my definition of culture associates most with Aime Cesaire's definition. Cesaire was a Martinique writer who once stated,

“Culture is everything. Culture is the way we dress, the way we carry our heads, the way we walk, the way we tie our ties—it is not only the fact of writing books or building houses.”

My bicultural life enables me to experience the best of both worlds. I love coming home to the tastes and smells of my mom’s cooking. I love going to big Indian weddings with crowds of people. I relish times I get to watch a good Bollywood movie. At the same time, being here in Aggieland I have taken in much of the culture here. From the cowboy boots to the Howdy and Potato Shack, College Station culture is pretty different from home.

The introduction of new cultures into my life is something I enjoy. If you got the chance to try something new, wouldn’t you take it? John Cage, once said

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened by old ones.”

To take on new experiences and to try new ways of life is my definition of becoming “cultured”. I don’t think I will ever really like country music, but I will admit I do jam to some of Josh Turner's songs.

Do you agree that culture can be defined as everything? Would you experience a new culture if you could? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Coming from a bi-cultural background as well, I can relate to your comment about "experiencing the best of both worlds." It's interesting how different the American and Mexican culture are; and there are even differences between the Mexican-American and the Mexican culture. If there are this many differences between places that are next to each other, I can't imagine how different the American and the Indian culture are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also understand coming from a bicultural background, because my own culture has definitely fused with the American culture, despite the differences. I also think that having a bicultural background allows us to be interested in different cultures because we are already used to the blending of our own.

    ReplyDelete